Director of Operations & Visitor Services
Full Time, Exempt
The Volunteer and Teen Center Coordinator will be responsible for supervising, strengthening and expanding our volunteer and teen program. The Teen Center includes a sound recording booth, gaming area, and computer lounge. The coordinator will be in charge of proper supervision, staffing, cleanliness and upkeep, scheduling, and planning and promotion of programs and events for the Teen Center. Volunteers provide countless hours working with children as camp assistants, assisting tour guides, interacting with children and families in our exhibits, teaching art workshops, serving on outreach teams in the community, assisting at the front desk, administration, gift shop, and assisting in various operational capacities; providing the Museum with exceptional support for its operations and programming.
• Grow Teen Center audience through diversified arts-focused programming and community outreach
• Plan and implement programs for underserved teens, creating a hub for creative expression and career/college mentorship
• Recruit, schedule, train, assign and manage over 500 teen volunteers annually in all museum departments
• Supervise volunteer team of 20-30 teens per day on weekends
• Create volunteer plans and oversee volunteers for frequent special events
• Develop and oversee Teen Center events, including Recycled Fashion Show, Comic Convention, Theme Park Field Trip, and Leadership-focused programming
• Oversee the Teen Center and Sound Recording Studio
• Organize and facilitate monthly orientation sessions of up to 200 teens for new volunteers
• Facilitate Teen Leadership Advisory Team meetings with local educators to steer program planning
• Cultivate senior docent program and maintain and recruit adult volunteer team
• Increase intern presence through outreach to local universities
• Recruit, train, and supervise interns along with assigned staff member
• Conduct outreach activities to recruit new volunteers
• Maintain database of all volunteers
• Uphold standards of cleanliness for Teen Center and volunteers
• Document service hours, provide necessary paperwork, and recommendations and references for schools, colleges and jobs in a timely manner
• Maintain the social media presence for the Teen Volunteer Program including Facebook and Twitter
• Disseminate information to all volunteers on a regular basis
• Serve as an active member of the Operations department, attending meetings as necessary
• Serve as an ambassador for the Museum in the community
• Serve as a mentor to all volunteers
• Other duties as assigned
Associate degree or greater preferred; relevant experience may substitute for degree Skills & Qualifications
• Outgoing and self-motivated
• Good communication skills with the ability to inspire others
• Strong attention to detail, follow-through, and ability to prioritize
• Proficient with Microsoft Office
• Personable, enthusiastic, creative and independent.
• Leadership skills and the ability to work well with teens, seniors, staff and the public.
• Able to work a non-traditional work schedule.
• Prior supervisory experience necessary with teens and adults
• Prior experience planning events for youth/teens necessary
• Prior museum and/or non-profit work experience a plus
• Experience working with databases a plus How To Apply:
Email resume and cover letter by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Subject line: Volunteer and Teen Center Coordinator. No phone calls please.